API Digest #100: When to Use REST, GraphQL, Webhooks, gRPC
Are you upset that summer is almost over and you think that there is nothing permanent in this world? You are wrong, because what remains unchanged forever is our weekly portion of API news! In today’s edition you will find a brief overview of the following articles:
- When to Use What: REST, GraphQL, Webhooks, & gRPC
- API Security: A Gateway To Heaven
- Five Security Measures to Overcome API Vulnerabilities
- Top 5 Free API Testing Tools (New & Updated Tools)
- How Should Teams Be Documenting Their APIs When You Have Both Legacy And New APIs?
- Tutorial: APIs Explained, Using Beer and Legos
1. When to Use What: REST, GraphQL, Webhooks, & gRPC
Choosing a design approach is perhaps the most important decision made in early API development. To help API developers make sense of which API design style to use and for what situation, Kristopher Sandoval offers to look at REST within the context of three other options – gRPC, GraphQL, and Webhooks. He provides real world examples of REST, GraphQL, gRPC, and Webhooks in practice, and analyzes their strengths and weaknesses to highlight what makes each option a good choice.
2. API Security: A Gateway To Heaven
Because applications are used by hundreds, thousands, and even millions of people, security is hugely important when creating APIs. In this article Art Anthony refers to Andrew Slivker of Nevatech who covered a few of the potential pitfalls of API security as well as how an API gateway can go a long way towards addressing them.
3. Five Security Measures to Overcome API Vulnerabilities
Effective security measures are paramount while building API. However, locking down an API with stringent security mechanisms leads to decreased productivity because APIs are designed to aid developers to carry out varying tasks with ease. Sahana Karnam provides five security measures that help API teams find the perfect balance between complicated system dependencies and strong protection capabilities against digital threats.
4. Top 5 Free API Testing Tools (New & Updated Tools)
If you know how important is APIs, this article is for you. Katalon Studio provides a comprehensive list of the best, FREE API testing tools which help to get your work done more quickly, with greater effectiveness, and zero of budget spent. Read the article to find out the best fit for your project and testing demands.
5. How Should Teams Be Documenting Their APIs When You Have Both Legacy And New APIs?
Kin Lane is answering the question regarding how the teams should be documenting their API, taking into consideration that many of them are supporting legacy services like SOAP. Read the article to find out his tips and suggestions.
6. Tutorial: APIs Explained, Using Beer and Legos
APIs are something we all use all the time. Despite their ubiquity, though, many people — even in tech — have a pretty vague understanding of what they are and how they work. In this article Michelle Gienow explains API through comparison with beer and lego. Read the article to look at API explanation in another way.
In case you are interested in unified shopping cart API, your best choice is API2Cart. Click the button below and schedule a call with our expert.